Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hutch Refinished


 This is a late post and I've been meaning to party it up with my sisters blog.... I finished this a couple months ago, but failed to post when it was finished. This was a super fun project I tackled. When Calvin would go down for a nap I would go to my workshop (aka daniel's Parking spot in the garage) and let loose.  I love to paint and I love creating something beautiful out of something ordinary or plain. This is what I came up with.  
I bought a kitchen table and this came with it all for $80. I think I scored big time. Wish I had a before picture. It was plain wood stain brown. Sanded it down, painted, distressed to my hearts content, and added an aged look around the edges with Minwax stain, lastly finished it off with a semi-gloss. 

 The top piece I sanded down the base boards on the back (should have stripped it) and stained each board with the same Minwax stain, giving some additional coats than the rest to get this beautiful and unique result:



Side note--- Almost each of these objects has very sentimental value to me
Heart vase: made this in my high school ceramics class (thought it was going to be hideous but turned out to be a keeper) 
Flowers in vase: Wedding Bouquet. Best day of my Life.
Mason Jar with Walnuts: picking these with my sister Kelsi in P-twon (yup i still have them)
Smoke Pipes: These belonged to my mother, who got these overseas (forgot where) they remind me of my childhood.
Wooden Balls: Shelby and Brandon made these for us for Christmas. 
Books: Russian Books from Ukraine. Memories of living there. 
Picture Frame: First craft project with Calvin (tutorial soon to come)
Red Books: My grandpas shortstory books. 
Each bring back so many fond memories. I cherish items such as these to remind me of wonderful times I had and to continue to make great ones.

Now it's your turn to party and link up to share it with the rest of us. 


Brandon and Shelby
http://

5 comments:

  1. My heaven cass you are talentd! Seriously that weathering job is really good and detailed and looks real. You have a talent. And I love how you decorated it! So cute. Love the stain you out on the back as well. Thanks for linking up. You are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Great color! And I love the wood on the back panel. You Hansen girls are good!! I love this lovely, classic hutch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Cas that is so amazing and beautiful. You are so talented. I still can't believe you got such a steal on those. I love the colors and stain etc. I also love the things inside and the memory of each. Those brass smokers are from Egypt. I got them when I was a senior in high school there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are pretty talented little lady, I think it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You still have the walnuts!! Haha that is fantastic I love it. I should have kept mine in a mason jar. Looks like I'll have to go pick up some more. But I seriously love this. Love it! And I loved reading about Calvin doing his project. How fun!

    ReplyDelete